An 'Input/Output' construct can be added to an 'Action Diagram' via drag-and-drop.
- Within an 'Action Diagram,' click the 'Input/Output' icon in the 'New' tab of the left sidebar and continue to hold down the left mouse button.
- Drag the 'Input/Output' icon over to the adjacent diagram canvas.
- Release the left mouse button while over the diagram canvas to drop the new 'Input/Output' and add it to the diagram.
- Select the generating 'Action' construct, then click one of the green circles and continue to hold down the left mouse button.
- Drag the green circle to your newly created 'Input/Output' construct.
- When the 'Input/Output' highlights bright green, release the left mouse button to add a generated by/generates relationship.
- Select your newly created 'Input/Output' construct, then click one of the green circles and continue to hold down the left mouse button.
- Drag the green circle to the receiving 'Action' construct of your choice.
- When the receiving 'Action' highlights green, release the left mouse button to add the appropriate relationship. Releasing over the "Trigger" section will automatically add the received by/receives relationship with the Trigger relationship attribute set to "Yes," while releasing over the "Optional" section will automatically add the received by/receives relationship with the Trigger relationship attribute set to "No."
- Once added to the diagram with the proper relationship, enter a meaningful 'Name' for your new 'Input/Output' via the 'Attributes' tab of the left sidebar (focused automatically for convenience).
- Click on one of the lines. Position the lines by selecting the blue dots and moving them to the desired location around the shape.
- Click the 'Save' button located on the toolbar to persist your changes to your project’s database.
Note: The above process describes using the 'New' tab of the left sidebar, which automatically generates a new entity to represent each new diagram construct. If you would like to reuse existing entities from your database to represent a new construct, use the 'Existing' tab instead.
Action diagrams’ 'Input/Output' parents now can support I/O decomposition which will display children 'Input/Outputs' and display the relationship between them when inside a decomposed Action diagram.
- Enter a decomposed Action diagram by clicking the 'Decomposed' button on a parent 'Action' in an Action diagram.
- Once inside the decomposed Action diagram, when a parent 'Input/Outputs' has children Input/Outputs, selecting the Parent 'Input/Outputs' will cause the 'Decomposed Parent IO' button to appear.
- Click on the 'Decomposed Parent IO' button to generate the Child 'Input/Outputs'.
For more information on this construct and how it is represented in the database model, see Action Diagram Constructs.