'Decomposition' can be assigned within a 'Layer Diagram' via drag-and-drop. The parent asset construct must be added to the diagram first, before decomposition can be assigned.
- Within a 'Layer Diagram,' already containing the parent 'Asset,' click to add a new 'Asset' in the 'New' tab of the left sidebar and continue to hold down the left mouse button.
- Drag the 'Asset' icon over to the adjacent diagram canvas.
- Drag the 'Asset' over the parent 'Asset.' When the parent 'Asset' box highlights green, release the left mouse button to drop the new 'Asset' and add it to the diagram.
Notice the new 'Asset' stays selected once it has been dropped. Since it is selected, the toolbar changes to include buttons for functions which can be used on the construct. The sidebar also changes to include additional 'Metadata,' 'Attributes' and 'Relationships' tabs.
- You will notice that the parent 'Asset' automatically enlarges and becomes a shade of blue, with the new child 'Asset' now existing within the parent representing a decomposed by/decomposes relationship.
- Once added to the diagram, enter a meaningful 'Name' for your new 'Asset' via the 'Attributes' tab of the left sidebar (focused automatically for convenience).
- Click the 'Save' button located on the toolbar to persist your changes to your project's database.