An ‘Input/Output’ construct can be added to an ‘Interface Control Diagram’ via drag-and-drop. A Child ‘Asset’ must be added to the diagram first before this construct can be added.
- Within an ‘Interface Control Diagram’, click the ‘Input/Output’ icon in the ‘New’ tab of the left sidebar and continue to hold down the left mouse button.
- Drag the ‘Input/Output’ icon over to the ‘Interface Control Diagram’ to a Child ‘Asset’.
- When the Child ‘Asset’ box highlights green, release the left mouse button to drop the new ‘Input/Output’ and add it to the diagram.
Notice the ‘Input/Output’ stays selected once it has been dropped. Since it is selected, the toolbar changes to include buttons for ‘Input/Output’ which can be used on the construct. The sidebar also changes to include additional ‘Metadata,’ ‘Attributes,’ and ‘Relationships’ tabs.
- Once added to the diagram, enter a meaningful ‘Name’ for your new ‘Input/Output’ via the ‘Attributes’ tab of the left sidebar (focused automatically for convenience).
- Click the ‘Save’ button located on the toolbar to persist your changes to your project’s database.
* Note: The above process describes using the ‘New’ tab of the left sidebar, which automatically generates a new entity to represent each new diagram construct. If you would like to reuse existing entities from your database to represent a new construct, use the ‘Existing’ tab instead.
For more information on this construct and how it is represented in the database model, see Interface Control Diagram Constructs.